My name’s Miguel A. Suro (The Rich Miser™), and I am a lawyer and journalist from Miami. I practice law full-time, and try to enjoy a balanced and fulfilling life with my friends and family when I’m not at work.
I’ve always had something of an obsessive personality and loved to read all sorts of articles and blogs (maybe that’s why I went into law). I’m the kind of person that buys a bottle of Advil and reads the entire label 🙂
Over the years, that obsessiveness grew into the area of my personal finances, and I started looking into all kinds of tips, tricks, and hacks to save money, while at the same time living well. I started with travel hacking, by poring over points and miles blogs like One Mile At A Time and View From the Wing.
Then, I got married to my wonderful wife Lily, who taught me even more about saving money, especially when it comes to shopping.
So, one day I realized that I was gaining all of this knowledge, and that I could combine it with my love of reading and writing to start a blog. And that’s how The Rich Miser was born! If you’re curious, I got the name from Scent of a Woman, from the scene where Chris O’Donnell asks Al Pacino if he’s a rich miser. The concept behind it, as I’ve adopted it, is to build wealth and live well (even a little glamorously), but be something of a miser when it comes to spending. Buy the nice things, but not too many, and never paying retail.
I hope you enjoy my writings and find them useful. I also love learning and bettering myself and The Rich Miser, so I’d be more than grateful if you let me know when I miss something, or when I could make something better. You can contact me here.
Thanks for reading!
At A Glance
Miguel A. Suro.
Where I’m From
I was born and raised in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Where I Live
- Boston College (BA, Double Major in Political Science and Philosophy).
- University of Puerto Rico (JD).
- Blogging at The Rich Miser.
- Video games.
- Reading the news.
I always write about topics that I’m either knowleadgeable on, or can make myself knowledgeable on through research and analysis. For example, here are several of my favorite topics and some of my credentials on each:
Personal Finance and Investing
- I’ve been a personal finance and investing enthusiast for over 20 years.
- For more than a decade, I’ve invested in all sorts of products and securities, including:
- Stocks (both long and short positions).
- Mutual funds.
- Cryptocurrencies (since 2017).
- I’ve read multiple books on personal finance and investing, including on topics such as candlestick charting, and FIRE.
- Nearly every day, I read financial news and blogs.
- I’ve watched countless videos on personal finance and investing.
Philosophy, Psychology, and Self-Improvement
- I hold philosophy and political science degrees (a double major) (BA).
- I took several courses on psychology during college.
- I also hold a law degree (JD).
- I’ve read many books and articles on self-improvement, philosophy, and psychology.
- Nearly every day, I read up on these topics.
- I’m a techonology enthusiast, and have been so for well over 20 years.
- I have experience with beginner-level coding, and wrote, many years ago, a tutorial on QBasic that was well-received.
- I’m very familiar with most consumer-level technology, including iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, and VPNs.
- Technology is another one of my daily-reading topics.
- I’m a fan of cars, and in particular of emerging technologies in the automotive world. For example:
- Tesla self-driving technology.
- Honda Sensing.
- GM Super Cruise.
- I’ve owned 3 cars and leased 2 others.
- Frequently, I read about cars and automotive tech.
- I’ve very well traveled, and have been to the following places:
- Puerto Rico
- Many of the US States
- Most of Western Europe
- Mainland China
- Hong Kong
- I’m a frequent business traveler, and points and miles enthusiast. I’m knowleadgeable about:
- American Airlines.
- Air travel in general.
- Points and miles.
- Rewards credit cards.
- Airport lounges.
- I speak fluent English and Spanish, and beginner-level French and German.
- For well over a decade, I’ve been a fitness enthusiast.
- I’ve read many book and articles, including:
- Getting Stronger, by Bill Pearl
- The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, by Arnold Schwarzenneger
- I’ve built and maintained two home gyms.
Journalism and Writing
- My mother was a newspaper journalist and introduced me to the field.
- My education and legal training and experience have made me skilled in research and analysis.
- I’ve published hundreds of articles on this site.
- I’ve written thousands of pages as a lawyer.
- I have been quoted on many major outlets, including:
- Travel + Leisure
- Consumer Reports
- The Los Angeles Times
- Refinery 29
The Rich Miser Mailing Address
13727 SW 152 Street #697
Miami, FL 33177
The Rich Miser Phone Number
1 (305) 520-9433
Text messages only, if it’s an emergency. Really, the way to contact me is via this contact form.