Hi! So Santa Clara is a small village on the island of São Miguel in the Azores archipelago, located in the north-central part of the island. It is known for its beautiful natural surroundings and its tranquil atmosphere. As you probably know, it’s part of Portugal.
Let’s check out some of what it has to offer.
Things to Do in Santa Clara
If you’re thinking of visiting Santa Clara, here are a few suggestions for things to do and see while you’re there:
- Visit the Natural Pools of Salto do Prego: These crystal-clear pools are fed by a series of waterfalls and are the perfect spot for a refreshing dip on a hot day.
- Hike to the top of Pico da Vara: This is the highest peak on the island of São Miguel and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
- Explore the Furnas Valley: This picturesque valley is home to hot springs, geysers, and bubbling mud pots. It’s a unique and otherworldly landscape that is not to be missed.
- Visit the Gruta do Carvão: This underground cave system is a popular destination for both tourists and locals. It features stunning stalactites and stalagmites, as well as underground lakes.
- Take a boat tour around the island: The island of São Miguel is surrounded by a beautiful coastline and there are several boat tours available that will take you around the island to see some of the most breathtaking views.
In terms of accommodation, there are several options in Santa Clara, including guesthouses, bed and breakfasts, and holiday rentals. It’s a good idea to book in advance, as the island can get quite busy during the peak tourist season.
- Pack for all seasons: The weather in the Azores can be unpredictable, so it’s a good idea to pack layers and be prepared for both warm and cool temperatures.
- Rent a car: Santa Clara is a small village, so you’ll need a car to get around and explore the island. There are several car rental agencies on the island, so it’s easy to rent a car for your stay.
- Learn some Portuguese: While many people on the island speak English, it’s always helpful to know a few basic phrases in Portuguese. This will help you communicate with locals and make your trip more enjoyable. I’ve always found the Duolingo app helpful for this.
- Bring comfortable walking shoes: The island of São Miguel has many beautiful hiking trails, so it’s a good idea to bring comfortable shoes for exploring.
- Don’t forget your sunscreen: The sun can be intense in the Azores, especially during the summer months, so don’t forget to bring sunscreen and protect your skin.
- Try the local cuisine: The Azores are known for their delicious seafood, so be sure to try some of the local specialties while you’re there.
- Respect the environment: The Azores feature many unique and fragile ecosystems, so it’s important to be mindful of your impact on the environment while you’re there. Follow leave no trace principles and avoid disturbing wildlife.
Summing It Up
Overall, Santa Clara is a beautiful and peaceful destination that is perfect for nature lovers. With its stunning natural surroundings and relaxed atmosphere, it’s a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. I leave you with a video on the Azores: